Garden State Guarantee
Garden State Guarantee Factsheet
Garden State Guarantee
On June 29, 2021 Governor Phil Murphy signed legislation funding the Garden State Guarantee (GSG) effective beginning the fall 2022 semester. This page provides information about the program including eligibility requirements and answers to frequently asked questions.
What is the Garden State Guarantee (GSG)?
The Garden State Guarantee is a financial aid program that may provide up to four semesters of free tuition for New Jersey students enrolled at New Jersey City University (or other 4-yr public NJ universities) based on their family’s federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI):
- A student with a family AGI between $0 and $65,000 will be eligible for free tuition and mandatory fees.
- If a student’s/parent(s)’ adjusted gross income is between $65,001 to $80,000, students will be able to receive assistance so their net cost for tuition and mandatory fees (out of pocket cost) is no more than $7,500 total for the fall and spring semesters combined ($3,750 per term).
- Garden State Guarantee covers the cost of tuition and mandatory fees that are not already covered by federal, state, institutional and other grants and scholarships.
Students who meet the below criteria are eligible for the Garden State Guarantee:
NJ residents, including NJ Dream Act students – must meet the NJ HESAA residency requirements.
Must complete the FAFSA and meet all state deadlines to have state aid eligibility determined. Failure to complete your state aid process jeopardizes your eligibility for this program too. Check your state aid status online at NJFAMS.
The Adjusted Gross Income is based on parent(s)’ AGI for dependent students or student/spouse income for independent students. The income establishing eligibility is based on the income reported on the FAFSA for the academic year in question.
Students must be working toward their first bachelor’s degree and must have earned no more than 126 credits. Both continuing students and incoming transfers are eligible.
Must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) during the semester. GSG is only for fall and spring semesters.
Enroll full-time in your third or fourth year at New Jersey City University. This is defined as having earned 60-89 credits for third year and 90-126 earned credits for fourth year (credits include those a student has earned from different institution(s) as long as NJCU has accepted the credits).
Students must complete all verification and document request requirements with the University or NJHESAA.
Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Consideration is automatic with your FAFSA or NJ Alternative Application! There is not a separate application beyond one of those to complete.
Remember these important application requirements:
- Complete your FAFSA for Academic Year 2022-23 immediately if you have not already done so. NJ Dreamers should file the NJ Alternative Application found on HESAA’s website.
- Students must file the FAFSA or NJ Alternative Application by HESAA’s state grant deadlines.
- If HESAA requests additional documentation, submission deadlines must also be met.
- You must also complete the state grant process (submit additional documents, if requested), regardless of eligibility for other state grant aid.
- Students must also submit any requested documentation required by the New Jersey City University Financial Aid Office.